Saturday, March 14, 2015

Who likes toast?!

a friend of mine, Egle, had the brilliant idea of suggesting a toast post to me a while back.  it took a while to get around to it but now finally it's here!

avocado toast has become one of my absolute favorite new foods since moving to New York, where it can be found in almost any and every cute cafe.  i have tried almost every variation under the sun here although i'm sure i'll discover more in time to come.  

some of my personal favorites in New York can be found at Brunswick CafeCha Lait and Little Collins, but for those who want to try it out at home, it is SO easy to make and fun to play around with according to personal tastes.

here are two variations on avo toast, along with a third, sweet toast (no avocado involved!) for anyone like me who has a sweet tooth.

this first toast is the most classic and simple avocado toast, probably my favorite kind:

set about frying an egg (or two!) 
toast some good seeded brown bread
mash up an avocado to your desired consistency + season well with salt and pepper 
spread avocado on toast, sprinkle chilli flakes over and add a squeeze of lemon juice
top with fried egg and a drizzle of olive oil


second is a twist on the classic, really you can add/minus any preferred ingredients- there are a million and one things you can do:  

toast bread
mash and season avocado as above
again sprinkle chilli flakes (clearly I like some spice on my toast!)
sprinkle some pumpkin seeds over your avocado, or any seeds you like
drizzle with olive oil
grate some cheese on top, i like a nice salty hard cheese for this, thought about using pecorino but in the end chose to use ricotta salata which turned out delicious


sweet toast:

use the same bread to toast
in a small bowl mix up some goat's milk ricotta cheese with a spoon of maple butter
(you can use regular ricotta and any sweetener you prefer here too)
spread mixture on toasted bread
halve some figs and place on top
drizzle over maple butter


4 comments:

  1. Toast maybe the best food on earth. These look delicious! thanks for sharing them.
    ~megan
    www.booksteaandnyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of toast until I moved here!! Totally obsessed now. Glad you like the post! :)

      Delete
  2. I like toast! Especially the sweet kind, you know :-) Now I'm curious about maple butter, but maybe it's better for me to avoid it so I don't get a new unhealthy addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he I know :) Oh but it's goooood. You can try it at my place sometime and see how you like it! No fear of buying an entire jar then ha ha ha, I'll just get through all of mine for you..!

      Delete