Friday, August 24, 2012

Zwetschgendatschi!

Zwetschgendatschi is a Bavarian plum cake, and as well as being fun to say, the cake itself smells, looks and tastes beautiful due to the main ingredient- plums! Traditionally damson plums are used for this cake, but I used a mixture including mirabelle, victoria and damson plums which resulted in a very pretty and colorful cake.













 Continue for recipe...


Ingredients:

21g fresh yeast
200ml lukewarm milk
60g granulated sugar
1 egg
pinch of salt
60g butter, softened
400g all-purpose flour
1kg plums
100g chopped almonds
cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling

Method:
Mix the yeast with the milk and 1 teaspoon of the sugar, then let rest in a warm place for about 15 minutes.

Mix the remaining sugar, the egg and the salt with the yeast-mixture in a medium bowl, then add in the butter and sift over the flour, mixing until all ingredients are incorporated. 

Knead the mixture for a couple minutes either by hand or with the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer, then cover the bowl with a cloth and place somewhere warm to rest and rise for about 45 minutes. (I usually use an oven which has been preheating for a short while and then switched off.)

Grease a 15x10x1" tray and knead the dough briefly before rolling out onto the tray.

Wash, halve, and stone the plums, then halve again. Place the plum pieces on the yeast base in thick rows, covering the entire cake, then sprinkle over the chopped almonds and cinnamon sugar. Cover and leave to rest for another 30 minutes, then bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for about 20-30 minutes.

Allow to cool a little on a wire rack, then cut into slices (it should make 12) before serving, preferably warm and with freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Emmina! I read on your sister's blog you are going to Germany? Where? I'm going to England this semester and a girl from Cork will come live in my room while I'm away. What are the odds??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma this looks yummy! My Oma always makes "Pflaumenkuchen" when i visit her :) i hope you have a good time in Germany! In which city are you?

    Liebe Grüße und viel Spaß in Deutschland :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh this looks yummy!! :P
    You've got a really nice blog! :D

    you could check out mine sometime :) would appreciate it :D

    maureen-le-me.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious!! x

    xelliealicex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that looks absolutely delicious! I really like your blog! It would be nice if you could stop by my blog sometime too (I'm from England) as I post my outfits, likes and more :) :)

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious! I'd never in a million years get it to look that good if I tried to make it! I'm hosting a giveaway over on my blog if you fancy popping over :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. sieht ja total lecker aus :) :)

    Davon hätte ich jetzt auch gerne ein Stück ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. zwetschgendatschi! delicious! looks absolutley like the one my grandmother always makes!
    greets from munich, bavaria :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeeey zetschgendatschi!!!!! greetings from bavaria ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh ich liebe zwetchgen kuchen <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good ! http://www.planeticketsandpasta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. O love plums! And all of cakes ;) I am on diet now ;( :(

    ReplyDelete